– Please forward widely –
COMMUNITY MARCH AGAINST RACISM:
Celebrate our courage!
Sunday, March 18th, 2012 at 2pm.
Starting at Clark Park (Commercial and 14th)
Ending at Grandview Park (Commercial and Charles)
Vancouver, Unceded Coast Salish Territories
Family-friendly festivities! Bring your neighbours, banners and drums!
March 21, the International Day for the Elimination of Racism, marks the anniversary of the 1960 Sharpeville Massacre in South Africa when police opened fire on hundreds of South Africans protesting against Apartheid’s passbook laws, killing 67 and wounding 186. Collectively, we join friends and allies around the world to mark this day and to speak the truth about racism.
We know of the historic injustices this country was founded on, including the forced confinement of Indigenous children in residential schools and Japanese children in internment camps.
Today, we urgently need a renewed anti-racist consciousness as examples of institutional racism abound:
* Mass criminalization and incarceration under the new crime bill, human smuggling bill, and proposed anti-terror legislation
* Tragedies of missing and murdered Indigenous women and communities like Attawapiskat across these colonized lands
* Restrictions on immigration and family sponsorships but expanding exploitative temporary worker programs
* Bailing out banks while communities of colour live in poverty
* Corporate destruction on Indigenous territories from pipelines in Alberta and BC to Canadian mining operations across Africa and Latin America
* Involvement in military occupations from Afghanistan to Palestine
Racist stereotyping and scapegoating permeates the media, education system, policing institutions, and workplaces. We are outraged at the white supremacist hate crimes of groups such as Blood and Honor in our very own neighbourhoods, and the general silence surrounding this horrific example of violence.
We encourage our friends and allies to be pro-active in countering racism. Join us in solidarity and resistance on March 18th to celebrate the dignity, strength, and resilience of our communities.
For more information email email@example.com or call 778 885 0040